It’s the time of year when many live bands will have opportunities to play outside in some cold weather. I know I’ve played outdoor New Year’s Eve gigs, gigs on outside decks at ski resorts and some sweet gigs outdoors at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City. For a live band, it’s essential stagecraft to know how to deal with cold weather. I’ve played in temperatures well below freezing and I’ve learned a few things along the way. Here’s a list of things you’ll want to consider when playing outdoor winter gigs. I’ll discuss each in more detail below:
- What type of stage will you be playing on?
- Will there be any stage heating?
- What types of clothes should you wear?
- How can you keep your hands warm?
- How do you care for your instruments in the cold weather? Continue reading “Tips For Playing Live Band Gigs In Cold Weather”